Tuesday 7 October 2008

Learning from Experience

Working with Norwegian Refugees Council for one year and some months, I had an experience of telling people always what they should do to improve their way of working or practice. For eight months telling the workers what they should do and what they shouldn’t was deteriorating the learning process in the work place. It has become a routine for many workers; hence there was no learning or obtaining skills taking place. At the end of one year, the manager of the project realize a need for changing the system from top-down to down-top to improve the system of telling others what to do, into personal improvement of practice.
My world view of telling people what to do start to change and the question that I asked my self was how I can improve my personal way of work practice in order to influence others for the better development of their skills and knowledge. Based on that I started following the idea of improving my practice, seeing how it goes and continually checking whether it is in line with what I want to happen.

No comments: